1.) Why is this a required course?
(for starters let’s not jump into profit margins and jargon - try and maintain your innocence a bit and remember that this is about People and helping make or keep them Healthy)
Making or Keeping People Healthy is a Mission
Achieving a Mission requires using Resources
- Resources = people, energy, supplies, expertise, transportation etc
Resources require Access in order to use them
- Access comes from buying power - (gifts, donations, money)
There can be Alternative Resource Solutions to Mission needs
- For example to monitor bed wetting, could use a digital chip built into beds that send a radio signal to a single nurse, or employ 5 nurses to check around on everyone.
- What would be the pros cons & differences influencing the best strategic decision?
Healthcare decisions are different than those in other industries.
2.) How do we assess the economic state of a group?
Two Basic Ways:
- Fiscal Position - a snapshot comparison of Total Assets to Total Liabilities
- Fiscal Activity - a review and projections of economic exchange
- Assets - are things owned
- Liabilities - are things owed
- To compare assets to liabilities, make an inventory of each and assign numbers
- Income - can be in different forms, for example taxed and untaxed
- Income - is fiscal activity (of a certain kind)
Arnold Schwarzenegger - Health Icon
Walter Reed - Health Icon
Dr. Regina Benjamin, American Surgeon General - Health Icon
Louis Pasteur - Health Icon
Mary Seacole - Health Icon
Florence Nightingale - Health Icon
John Snow - Health Icon
Edwin Chadwick - Health Icon
Hippocrates - Health Icon